By Jon D. Mikalson
- Focuses on Athens within the classical period
- Includes certain dialogue of Greek gods and heroes, fable and cult, and vibrant descriptions of Greek faith because it used to be practiced
- Ancient texts are awarded in bins to advertise proposal and dialogue, and plentiful illustrations support readers visualize the wealthy and sundry non secular lifetime of old Greece
- Revised variation contains extra boxed texts and bibliography, an 8-page colour plate part, a brand new dialogue of the character of Greek “piety,” and a brand new bankruptcy on Greek faith and Greek Culture
Read Online or Download Ancient Greek Religion (Blackwell Ancient Religions) PDF
Similar ancient history books
The papyri of Egypt provide a wealthy and complicated photograph of this significant Roman province and supply an exceptional perception into how a Roman province really labored. additionally they manage to pay for a invaluable window into old monetary habit and way of life. This examine is the 1st systematic therapy of the function of land delivery in the financial lifetime of Roman Egypt, a regular financial task on the heart of the economic system not just of Egypt yet of the Roman international.
By means of systematically confronting Greek culture of the Heroic Age with the proof of either linguistics and archaeology, Margalit Finkelberg proposes a multidisciplinary evaluate of the ethnic, linguistic and cultural state of affairs in Greece within the moment millennium BC. the most thesis of this publication is that the Greeks began their historical past as a multi-ethnic inhabitants staff inclusive of either Greek-speaking newbies and the indigenous inhabitants of the land and that the physique of 'Hellenes' as identified to us from the old interval used to be a planned self-creation.
Examensarbeit aus dem Jahr 2008 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, observe: 2,0, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (Althistorisches Seminar Göttingen), forty five Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Ich habe mich für alle drei Kaiser auf vier Legitimationsbereiche beschränkt, um einen sinnvollen Vergleich und eine Erörterung ihrer Herrschaftspraxis zu ermöglichen.
For greater than a millennium, the Byzantine Empire presided over the juncture among East and West, in addition to the transition from the classical to the trendy world. Jonathan Harris, a leading pupil of Byzantium, eschews the standard run-through of emperors and battles and as an alternative recounts the empire’s outstanding historical past by way of focusing each one chronological bankruptcy on an archetypal determine, family members, position, or occasion.
- A History of Exile in the Roman Republic
- The Religious Context of Early Christianity: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religious (Studies of the New Testament and Its World)
- Hoplites at War: A Comprehensive Analysis of Heavy Infantry Combat in the Greek World, 750–100 bce
- The Romans in the Age of Augustus
- Origins of Democracy in Ancient Greece
- Theodora von Byzanz: Kurtisane und Kaiserin (Urban-Taschenbücher) (German Edition)
Extra resources for Ancient Greek Religion (Blackwell Ancient Religions)
Ancient Greek Religion (Blackwell Ancient Religions) by Jon D. Mikalson